July 20, 2005

Finally, a list.

This is what I get to feast my eyes upon every day when I hop and skip to work and back.



I'm reasonably lucky in that respect.

Most people get to stare at the back of someone else's head from approximately three inches away, and/or get to revel in the pungent odours emitted from that fat greasy blokes pits. But not me.

I get to walk to work.
I get to smell the grass and the flowers.
And I get to look at this brilliant yet bizarre piece of architecture.
The chap who built it (a king or some such..) clearly had more money than sense, yet despite it's downfalls and ridiculous over-the-topness it gets away with it, and fits into the town perfectly.
In doing so it supports my argument that this place is fucking weird.

Anyway.

I haven't done the whole linky linky thing for a while, so here's a whole bunch of stuff that's been twiddling my knobs in the last few weeks:

First up, films. We have seen a whole bunch of movies recently. Some good, some not so good, some positively shit. I wholeheartedly recommend that everyone go and see Batman Begins and rent out Sideways, as they are both bloody ace. Mrs L didn't like Batman too much; thought it was a bit too modern, and she says that she prefers the Tim Burton original. But I thought it was fun, exciting, and a really good re-working of the character. And the Batmobile is ruddy amazing. Sideways we both liked. It was funny, moving, clever, well written, and I actually really cared about the characters - something which doesn't happen very often.

We've also seen Sin City (looked really good, but the story was all over the place and the dialogue was laughable), The Life Aquatic (could have been good but was actually shit - seemed as if there were whole massive bits of film missing all over the place), and Birth, which was good, if a little risque with the old subject material, but worth a watch despite having Nicole Kidman in it.

I turned on the telly the other day (shock horror) and had the strangely pleasant experience of watching a decent video to a decent song on a cable tv music channel. Twice. One after the other. It was amazing.

I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't in a coma.

So I immediately went on the interweb and found the videos and songs in question and here they are for you courtesy of me because I love you all so and understand that you need guidance when it comes to matters of taste and quality.

First up is this song by Audio Bullys. It's called 'Shot You Down' (no, really) and we like the Nancy Sinatra sample. We also very much like the video, which is by some dude called Jonas Odell who works for or runs these guys, who in turn seem to be owned by these guys - it's a cut-throat confusing as buggery market out there folks! He's done loads of other stuff which looks really really stylistically simliar, but I'm going to let him off on this occasion because the bit where Nancy's face has got lots of pink starry stuff going on behind it is blimmin' great.

Second up is this tune by Tom Vek, who we like a lot, and it's called 'C-C (You Set The Fire In Me)' for some reason. The song is pretty okay but not as good as some of his other stuff, but the video is just bonkers. Are they monkeys? Aren't they monkeys? Why is he dressed like a dandy old soldier? Somebody help me out here.
All I know is that it's clever, looks good, and I haven't the faintest idea how they did it, which is always a good thing.

Lastly, I've been pointed in the direction of this geezer, who is a fellow Brightonite, and who seems to make very pretty prints and pictures, as well as having an uncanny knack of making very boring brick walls look positively sexy. We like!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home